Trick-or-treat hours in Indianapolis will be from 6 – 8 p.m., Monday, October 31, 2016. The IMPD is planning extra patrols and enforcement in neighborhoods during that time.
Trick-or-treaters can also receive treats from their neighborhood police officers at several IMPD District Roll Calls:
- Southeast District, 1150 Shelby St., 4 – 7 p.m.
- North District, 3120 E. 30th St., 4 – 7 p.m.
- East District, 201 N. Shadeland Ave., 4 – 7 p.m.
- Southwest District, 551 King Ave., 6 – 8 p.m.
If you are participating in this year’s Halloween festivities please consider the following safety tips:
- Wear light-colored clothing short enough to prevent tripping and add reflective tape
- Wear fire-resistant costumes
- Make sure children can see well through face masks
- Don’t wear masks or disguises into businesses
- Adults should accompany young children and children with special needs
- Go out in daylight hours if possible or carry a flashlight if you’ll be out after dark
- Motorists are reminded to slow down and be aware of their surroundings
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged treats
- Examine all treats before allowing children to eat them. If you find a suspicious item, contact police as soon as possible at 327-3811; if injury is involved, dial 911
- Avoid props such as toy guns, which can look real
- Consider block parties instead of trick-or-treating
- Don’t fire guns – it’s illegal and – what goes up, must come down
- Check the weather and have appropriate dress under costumes in the event of cold temperatures