The Road Ahead (Enja Records), the latest album from Albare, opens listeners’ hearts and minds through the original music and extraordinary musicianship of Albare and his quartet. ALBARE is the nom de guerre of Albert Dadon, a virtuoso jazz guitarist with a strong melodic sense and a wealth of global influences. Born in Morocco and […]
Tag Archive for Jazz Kitchen
The Indy Jazz Fest presented by Marsh has unveiled the artists taking the stage as part of the festival’s week long Sunset Series as it prepares to kick off its 14th year. Held over a five-day period September 10-14, the Sunset Series leads into the festival’s annual finale at Opti Park in Broad Ripple, now set to take place over two days, September 15-16. Indy Jazz Fest combines the great venues of Indianapolis with the diversity of jazz styles. The full schedule and ticket information is available at the festival’s website: www.indyjazzfest.net
- Monday, Sept. 10, 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. – Aaron Diehl Quartet at the Jazz Kitchen, 5377 N. College Ave., presented by REI Real Estate. Diehl is the American Pianists Association’s 2011 Cole Porter Fellow in Jazz.
Tickets are $25.
- Tuesday, Sept. 11, 7 p.m. – The Latin Tinge featuring Chuchito Valdes and Pavel & Direct Contact at the Indiana Landmarks Center Cook Theater, 1201 Central Ave. Latino piano classics will be performed in an intimate space.
Tickets are $20.
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, 7:30 p.m. – “West Coast Cool” will feature a collaboration between Cheryl Bentyne of Manhattan Transfer and Mark Winkler at the Cabaret at the Columbia Club, 121 Monument Circle. Two of California’s hottest jazz singers explore the mellow, “west coast style” of jazz, presented by Printing Partners.
Tickets can be purchased for $35, $45 and $55.
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, 8 p.m. – Three bands share the stage for a night of funk and soul, featuring Bashiri Asad and Xenobia Green (Indianapolis), The Right Now (Chicago) and Derobert & The Half Truths (Nashville) at the Jazz Kitchen, 5377 N. College Ave.
Tickets are $15.
- Thursday, Sept. 13, 7 p.m. – WICR presents a special free concert featuring the Indy Jazz Fest Band in a tribute to legendary trombonist Slide Hampton at the Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center at the University of Indianapolis, 1400 E. Hanna Ave.
This concert is FREE open to all ages and made possible by United Water.
- Friday, Sept. 14, 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. – The legendary Slide Hampton will celebrate his 80th birthday with the Steve Allee Big Band at the Jazz Kitchen, 5377 N. College Ave., presented by Foley & Abbott.
Tickets are $30.
Throughout the week, nightly jazz will be featured at the Jazz Kitchen and Chatterbox.
The lineup in Opti Park will feature headliners Stanley Clarke and George Duke Saturday, Sept. 15 at 8:45 p.m., preceded by Robert Glasper Experiment at 5 p.m. and Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe at 6:45 p.m. Brian Culbertson will headline Sunday, Sept. 16 at 7:15 p.m., following Brian Simpson featuring Maysa at 3:30 p.m. and Gerald Albright at 5:15 p.m. Gates open at 4 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday.
Now in its fourth year as presenting sponsor, select Central Indiana Marsh Supermarkets will again serve as the ticket outlet for purchasing advance discount tickets for the Opti Park performances September 15 and 16. Attendees can pay only $25 on the regular general admission ticket price of $30 when buying in advance at Marsh Supermarkets. Returning this year will be the VIP Experience packages and the popular week-long JAZZpass, in addition to one and two-day passes for September 15-16. The VIP and week-long passes are available online at www.indyjazzfest.net.
Indy Jazz Fest is also proud to announce that the Hampton Inn Downtown Indianapolis is the 2012 festival’s host hotel, with hotel and ticket rates available for the week.
Enter to Win A Pair of Tickets
Would you like to attend the Indy Jazz Fest concerts at Opti Park on either September 15th or 16th for FREE?
To enter please fill out the form here on Naptown Buzz with your full name,valid e-mail address by 11:59pm on Tuesday, September 4, 2012 and one (1) lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive a pair of tickets.
Your information is confidential and will only be used for contacting the winner and for prize fulfillment purposes.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
- One entry per person
- Open to Indiana residents
- Fill out the form above or e-mail us with your full name & valid e-mail address to be entered to win by 11:59pm on Tuesday, September 4, 2012
- You MUST be able to attend the show
- Tickets will be mailed to the winner
The winner will be notified by Thursday, September 6, 2012 via e-mail.
This post was submitted by Jessica Kiefer.
New York, NY – The jazz community is buzzing with excitement over the news of a special live engagement at the famed Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis by the Wolff & Clark Expedition on Saturday February 25, 2012. Featuring jazz legends Michael Wolff and Mike Clark, the concert is sure to be an unforgettable evening of hot jazz and funk. The group also features local Indianapolis musicians Rob Dixon on tenor sax and and popular jazz bassist Frank Smith. Hot off the heels of a very successful engagement at the Jazz Standard in New York, which featured James Genus on bass, Lenny Pickett from Tower of Power and now leader of the SNL band, and jazz virtuoso Steve Wilson on alto sax, the Wolff & Clark Expedition are preparing to tear it up in Indianapolis!
Performing together since the 1970s both Wolff and Clark individually have had stellar music careers. Michael Wolff is an internationally acclaimed pianist, composer and bandleader, and is best known for his melodically, fresh,and rhythmically compelling piano style. Wolff made his recording debut in 1972 with Cal Tjader, and went on to record with Cannonball Adderley, the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra, Sonny Rollins, Tony Williams, Christian McBride and many others. As pianist and music director for jazz singer Nancy Wilson, Michael wrote orchestral arrangements and conducted more than 25 major symphony orchestras worldwide. From 1989 to 1994, Michael served as the band leader for the Aresenio Hall Show, which heightened his visibility and gave him the opportunity to perform with many established artists such as Ray Charles, Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, Patti LaBelle, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock and saxophonist/president Bill Clinton. Michael Wolff has released 12 critically acclaimed solo albums to date as a leader, ‘Joe’s Strut’ being the most recent. He was a winner of the BMI Music Award for television composition and was also the winner of the Gold Gift Award in Japan for piano. Michael will be playing a solo piano concert on Thursday Feb 23, 2012 at University of Toledo, in Toledo, Ohio, as part of their Art Tatum solo piano concert.
What can be said about Mike Clark except that he is a true drum legend! Mike Clark gained worldwide recognition as one of America’s foremost jazz and funk drummers while playing with Herbie Hancock’s group in the early 1970’s. Mike became known as a major innovator through his incisive playing on Hancock’s ‘Thrust’ album, which garnered him an international cult following. While often referred to as the “Tony Williams of funk”, Mike considers himself a jazz drummer, and in fact has become one of the most vital to sit behind a set. He’s performed with jazz greats such as Herbie Hancock, Chet Baker, Vince Guaraldi, Tony Bennett, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson, Eddie Henderson, Rob Dixon, Bobby Hutcherson, Woody Shaw, Donald Harrison, Larry Coryell, Jack Wilkins, Mike Wolff, Wallace Roney, Geri Allen, Billy Childs, James Genus, Bob Hurst, Chris Potter, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau, Dave Liebman, Nat Adderly, Oscar Brown Jr., Bill Doggett, Nicholas Payton, Christian McBride, Mose Allison, Maxine Brown, Gil Evans and his orchestra and many illuminating artists too numerous to list. Mike is currently putting the finishing touches to his forthcoming solo CD ‘Indigo Blue’, which features Randy Brecker, Christian McBride, Ron Dixon and Antonio Farao.
Where: The Jazz Kitchen, 5377 N. College Ave., Indianapolis, IN, 46220 – Phone: 317-253-4900
When: Saturday, February 22, 2012 – 8 and 10 PM
Michael Wolff: www.michaelwolff.com
Mike Clark: www.mikeclarkmusic.com
Wolff & Clark Expedition Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/pages/Wolff-Clark-Expedition/256266051109019
This post was submitted by William James.